Saturday, July 18, 2020

Indian Prairie and Allen Creek Horse Camp, Oregon

The Ochoco National Forest is quite large and has more than a few horse camps and/or dispersed areas to camp and explore. The first time I rode into Indian Prairie was in 2011 and I did the 18 mile out and back ride, from a well known parking/ camping area called Corral Flat. I did the ride a second time in 2016, but both times when I arrived at the prairie, I would then have to turn around and go back, and I always wanted to continue exploring, so on this trip I drove over to Indian Prairie, and started from there.
I will be using the word "prairie" a lot in this blog, for some reason it's one of my least favorite words to type!.... but here goes.

Allen Creek Reservoir, and an extremely cute pony.

There is a meadow across the road from the prairie and I was planning to pull in there and camp, but even though the timing was right, and it was no longer a muddy mess, it was very rutted and lumpy. I was watching my trailer get uncomfortably close to losing an important part, the grey water tank, so I backed out and just parked in the little loop area at the unofficial trailhead.

Indian Prairie.

I proceeded to then ride across the prairie south following a trail, until I ended up on a road that just led downhill back toward areas I have already been, so I turned around, and headed up into the Bridge Creek Wilderness towards Mt. Pisgah. I would have liked to have ridden up to the top where there is a fire lookout, but I got distracted following other roads, and then was running low on time. At that point, there had been some grey clouds hanging over my head for awhile, and it was a little chilly, so rather than bundle up and spend the evening shivering in July, when I knew the weather was much nicer lower down in elevation, I decided to drive over to Allen Creek Horse Camp that night instead.
If anyone does want to camp at Indian Prairie there are no amenities, but you can get stock water either from a pond in the prairie, not too far from the parking area, or from a spring fed water trough just past the Bridge Creek Wilderness sign on Summit Rd.

Corn Lilies in bloom.

The warming shelter at Indian Prairie.

Inside the warming shelter at Indian Prairie.

Riding back towards Indian Prairie.

The Bridge Creek Wilderness.

The water trough, close to Indian Prairie.

The Bridge Creek Wilderness.

Allen Creek has some interesting memories for me from back in 2012, it was the first time I decided to do a solo camping trip, (just one night) and it also got me started with the first blog that I ever wrote, about an experience that I had with the Ochoco Mustangs. This time I wanted to ride a couple more days in other directions.

Allen Creek Horse Camp has eight spots, but only four have corrals. They used to be the dilapidated log variety but have been revamped with brand new shiny pipe corrals. Several of the sites are plenty big enough for larger rigs. There are two bathrooms, but no garbage, manure bin, or potable water. Allen Creek is available nearby for stock water. It does take some effort to haul the water from the creek, but as another option there is a dispersed camping site you could drive to across the road that has easier access to fill water containers. This camp is free, but has no developed trails. Update: As of 2022 there have been some designated trails made, that are flagged and marked.

Allen Creek Horse Camp.

Only four of the eight spots have corrals.

The following day I rode uphill to the east until I reached a junction, where I followed Rd. 2630 for several hours. This was nice because it ran along a ridge with views back over to Mt. Pisgah in the Bridge Creek Wilderness and also down onto Big Summit Prairie. It alternated between trees and shade, or opening up into occasional meadows. I chose to follow roads and not do any cross country riding because the majority of the land in this area is strewn liberally with rocks.

Big Summit Prairie from afar.

On Rd. 2630.

One of the meadows along Rd. 2630.

Lots of Lupines.

That evening a couple of non horse people came and spent the night at the far side of the camp, but other than a few lookie loo's driving through on occasion, it was very quiet.

On the last day it was my mission to ride to the Allen Creek Reservoir, and maybe even further south, but since Big Summit Prairie is private property, I wasn't sure if any roads kept going past the reservoir. I didn't find any, so I just headed back to camp afterwards, making my day a little shorter than usual.

Allen Creek Reservoir.

What once was a fancy house on Big Summit Prairie.

As I was bumping along on the washboard heading home, a lone cyclist lady was standing in the middle of the road and flagging me down. I thought I was going to have to toss her bike in the back and perform a rescue mission, but it turns out she just wanted to know how far it was to the town of Mitchell.
I told her it was "a ways" with a couple of big hill climbs in her future, so she wisely decided to turn around!


GPS COORDINATES TO INDIAN PRAIRIE


GPS COORDINATES TO ALLEN CREEK


No comments:

Post a Comment