Sunday, July 26, 2020

Paradise Park, Lookout Mt. and Umbrella Falls, Oregon

Well this short trip over to the Mt. Hood area was beautiful, and frustrating/stressful, in equal measures. It's amazing how many things can happen in just three days!

It all started on a Tuesday as I drove over to Timberline Lodge, to ride the PCT south over to Paradise Park. Last year I had tried to do this ride from the Paradise Park Trailhead, but the trail had not been cleared after a big storm, and I was not able to make it the whole way, so this was another option of getting to the same area.

On the PCT looking at Mt. Hood.

For anyone not familiar, Timberline is a ski hill and in late July one would think it would be relatively quiet, with maybe a few hikers cars. Not so much...... I drove into an absolutely packed parking area, as busy as if it were a winter ski day. Which it turns out it was, since they had a chairlift running and were taking people up the mountain with skis and snowboards. I've since learned that this hill has the longest ski season in the country, lasting all summer.

A guy manning a makeshift booth informed me that I would have to pull a U-ey, and try to find parking in the lower lot. I informed him that pulling a U-ey with his booth in the way was not going to work, so he moved his booth. The lower parking area was actually the best place to be since I could just ride from there right onto the nearby slopes. The entire time I was grooming and tacking up, a guy that worked there, was putting packing tape around a box, loud screeching noises that went on and on and on. He was very thorough, not an inch of cardboard was left unscathed.

I started riding towards where I knew the PCT was, but then I encountered what was a first for me, riding a horse under a moving chair lift. My pony actually handled it fairly well, on the way back a slightly different version of events occurred, which I will expand on shortly.

Moving chairlift, a first for my pony.

On the PCT heading south.

On the PCT.

Eventually I switchbacked down into Zigzag Canyon and crossed the river. On the other side, the trail has eroded a lot, so there is a tricky section to navigate, a bit of a rocky narrow catwalk, and then I climbed up to the junction with the Paradise Park Trail. This is the time of year to see the copious amounts of wildflowers, and the trail takes you to a great viewpoint of Mt. Hood. Then I looped back down to the PCT, and returned the same way. There were considerably more people on the trail by this time. A lady who said she had had bad experiences with horses, asked if she could pass me, so I stood there and watched her walk by. I thought if she was nervous, she would give my horse a wide berth, but she went by a millimeter away, and put her hiking poles directly under my horse's body. That might explain some of the bad experiences she has had, but luckily my horse didn't even flinch. I'm not especially looking forward to the day when I have to train a young horse again, to handle all the well meaning hikers lurking uphill behind trees, not speaking, and these days, wearing masks. Nothing phases Rina anymore, when it comes to what people do, she always sees them, and knows what they are.

Zigzag Canyon from above.

Zigzag River in  Zigzag Canyon.

On the trail to Paradise Park.

Getting closer to Mt. Hood.

So many wildflowers.

Awesome Mt Hood view.

Heading back down the Paradise Park Trail.

Bear grass on the Paradise Park Trail.

Moving chairlifts on the other hand are another matter, on the way back the sun had changed, and there were now large chairlift shaped shadows racing across the ground right at us.
I saw them coming, knew my pony would have a reaction, and sure enough she scrambled backward pretty quickly. That got her a little bit wired up, and as I was riding along a bike trail, she was busy spooking at the same bridge she had just seen earlier in the day, when a bike came racing up behind us, giving her another fright. Surviving all of that, we were back at the trailer when some kids drove past. They had not tied down their snowboards correctly and two of the boards came flying off the top of the car, making an unholy noise as they landed on the pavement directly in front of my horse, who was not tied. She stayed put, as she does, there was no harm done, but I ended up with the giggles after all of that drama at the very end of our ride.

My plan for the rest of the day was to drive over to Road 44 and try to find a dispersed camping spot somewhere fairly close to where the Lookout Mt.Trail crosses over the road. Easier said than done. I spent a while driving around, and either finding spots already taken, or in one case driving to a forest camp that I thought might work, but getting there and finding out it was the worlds smallest campground, and then having to turn around in tight quarters. This was getting frustrating and even though I had completely new trailer brakes installed on my trailer last year, I had at this point done one too many steep hills, and my trailer brakes were done working. A common theme since I got this LQ, and my truck doesn't have an exhaust brake. Also I am notorious for driving on roads that no one in their right mind would attempt. Finally at the last minute I saw a rutted dirt track leading off to the left and found my spot for the next two nights.

Finally found a nice dispersed camping spot.

This ended up being the perfect location, with the trail being just a mere half mile or so up the road.
In the morning I rode the Lookout Mt.Trail up to the top of Lookout Mt. This trail is shared with mountain bikes, although I never saw any. This year in particular with everything going on I actually was delighted to ride on a trail that was shared with cyclists, because I knew it would be cleared.

On the Lookout Mt. Trail.

Almost to the top of the Lookout Mt. Trail.

On top of Lookout Mt. Mt Hood Views.

July is the time for flowers.

Some hikers enjoy the view from Lookout Mt.

There is a way to make this into a loop, taking another trail that heads steeply downhill towards a couple of lakes, but I went about 3/4 of a mile and noticed that there were quite a few trees down. I ran into a nice hiker couple and asked if they knew if the trail was okay the rest of the way, and they said they weren't sure past a certain point. It was a hot day and it was too risky to continue in case I had to turn around after dropping 1000 feet or more in elevation. I took a road back, instead of the last part of the trail, so it was a partial loop after all. On the way, I checked out the High Prairie Survival Shelter, stocked with candles, wood and a stove, in case anyone ever gets into trouble out there in the winter.

The High Prairie Survival Shelter.

The next day I gathered up my things and drove over to the Elk Meadows Trailhead. I had woken up extremely early and so I was all ready to ride at 7:15 am. This ended up being a very good thing for several reasons, one I got there when there were only a few cars parked, so I could turn around and get situated. Secondly I only saw two people on the first part of my ride, and lastly this day ended up being quite the adventure, not necessarily in a good way, so I was very happy to have the extra time.

Elk Meadows TH before the crowds arrived.

Things were weird right away, my plan had been to do the out and back Elk Meadows Trail, which I knew was cleared, but on the way, I wanted do a small loop detour to see two waterfalls. The problem was the brand spanking new map I had of this area was not detailed, and it just showed the trail leaving to the right from the parking area. In reality after I was able to see a zoomed in version of the same map, there is another trailhead just a little farther up the road, where I was supposed to start the loop, so instead I followed the first left I came to, thinking I was on a different side of the loop than I actually was. This caused some confusion when I got to the second waterfall. I continued on the marked Umbrella Falls Trail, but it eventually met up with the Timberline Trail, which is not a horse trail.

But by that time I did not want to go back, I had already had quite a few obstacles to deal with on the part of the trail that horses were allowed on. Very deep holes, so deep that if my horse's leg had gone in to them, her foot wouldn't have even touched the bottom, skinny trail sections where water had eroded the earth, with drop offs on both sides, very un horse friendly creek crossings. I was either leading her over bridges that were a foot wide, meant for people, or leaping across ditches, since there were no horse fords, as there usually are in that type of situation. And yet another moving chairlift to contend with, which at this point was starting to be one of my horse's least favorite things. So actually once I forded a couple more nasty creek crossings, the rest of the TimberlineTrail that I was not supposed to be on, was easy in comparison.

On the Umbrella Falls Trail.

On the Umbrella Falls Trail.

The foot wide bridges were plentiful.

Sahalie Falls.

After riding awhile under more chairlifts, that were blessedly not moving, and flower filled ski slopes, the topography changed drastically as we came to a large canyon. The worst part of this section was having to cross over the top of a waterfall with slippery rocks, then we forded Clark Creek at the bottom and scrambled up the loose pea gravel ridge on the other side. When I got to the junction with the Newton Creek Trail I knew I was on the homestretch, however I also knew that it had not been cleared. I had to try it anyway, since the alternative was going around another way that was longer, trickier, and who knows what would have awaited me in that direction. I've been riding my entire life and I am used to encountering tricky terrain, on certain rides, but at this point, it just never let up, it was one thing after the other, for the entire day, so I was just ready to be done.

Going into the canyon, you can see the trail I climbed on the other side.

An unnamed waterfall on the Timberline Trail.

Down at Clark Creek.

Heading up the Pea Gravel Ridge.

Almost to the junction, looking at Gnarl Ridge.

Unfortunately, I still had some challenges ahead of me, the trail was clear at first, but then I encountered several bad areas of downfall. Needless to say I found a way around it all, making long detours through dense forest, squeezing my horse between logs etc. Unfortunately my brand new saddle bags now have a couple of rips in them.
Got back to the truck, and then had the two hour drive home with no trailer brakes, to enjoy.
Made it!


GPS COORDINATES TO TIMBERLINE LODGE

GPS COORDINATES TO LOOKOUT MT. TH ON RD 44

GPS COORDINATES TO ELK MEADOWS TH

4 comments:

  1. Horse back riding is a story, and you have some good ones! Happy Trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sharing your adventures! Love the blog and pics...you are inspirational!

    ReplyDelete