Saturday, July 17, 2021

North Crater Trailhead, Oregon

It's hard to find somewhere to camp in early July that is not mosquito infested, has cleared trails, and with no snow in the higher elevations. Usually ( although not this time ) the PCT is a good bet for being clear, and I know I can get at least two rides accomplished, riding both north and south. I decided to check out North Crater Trailhead, near Diamond Lake in Southern Oregon.

Mt. Thielsen from the PCT. (Pacific Crest Trail)

North Crater Trailhead has a narrow loop drive with a couple of camp sites tucked back in the trees. There are no actual parking spots for the camping, you just park in the lot. There is a bathroom, which was not stocked, some hitching rails and a loading ramp, but no water or other amenities. You can highline or put up a corral, and it is free. 

North Crater Trailhead.

North Crater Trailhead.

My camp spot at North Crater Trailhead.

This is not too far of a drive from my home, so I left early and did my first ride when I arrived. Besides the PCT there is also the North Crater Trail, which is supposed to head over to Diamond Lake. Not anymore. It is not cleared, hasn't been for awhile, and doesn't look like it ever will be, judging from the state of the junction where you are supposed to be able to do a loop. They are not allowing snowmobiles in the area anymore, and all of the old roads are a mess. I would not normally spend too much time on a trail in that bad of shape, but I persevered for quite awhile, due to the fact that I had nowhere else to ride that day. Eventually I turned back and went a different direction, ending up on Summit Rock Trail which is actually a road. I followed it until I reached Summit Rock, which has a nice viewpoint.

Just an example of North Crater Trail.

The junction where the loop used to be.

On top of Summit Rock, with a view of Mt. Thielsen.

More views to the south from Summit Rock.

On top of Summit Rock.

There was a fire burning to the north, and another fire that I could see while on top of the rock, burning to the south, but it wasn't smoky right in the middle, where I was, until later that evening when it drifted into camp for awhile.

The next day I rode the PCT to the north which I knew would take me into the Mt. Thielsen Wilderness and although I have been there before, riding from the Howlock Mt. Trailhead, this was a much more scenic way to view Mt. Thielsen. I rode all the way to Thielsen Creek ( about 16 miles round trip ) and along the way I got views of the mountain from three different sides. Unfortunately the PCT had not been cleared either, but it was at least doable that direction, and it was a nice shady gradual uphill climb with lots of opportunities to pick up the pace.

On the PCT heading north.

On the PCT looking at Mt. Thielsen.

Mt. Bailey and Diamond Lake views.

On the PCT on the west side of Mt. Thielsen.

On the PCT.

At Thielsen Creek.

Mt. Thielsen view from Thielsen Creek.

A deer grazing at Thielsen Creek.

On the last day I rode the PCT to the south, at least I attempted to. Immediately after the trail crosses Highway 138, it enters Crater Lake National Park. I knew I would not actually be riding anywhere near the lake, but I was hoping for some kind of view at some point. Mostly it was just trees, trees and more trees, and after awhile I gave up and went back, since there were just too many downed logs across the trail. There were also a few mosquito's which were irritating my horse. I ended up going back over to Summit Rock Trail/Road again and started riding towards Diamond Lake, but this was not interesting either and it was getting hot and smokier the closer I got to the lake, so I called it a day. 

On the PCT going south, too many downed trees.

On Summit Rock Trail, which is a road.

Went I got back to camp there was a family who had decided to have a picnic lunch on my picnic table directly in my camp spot. That was a first. They were nice enough people.... but who does that??? It was only slightly awkward as I untacked my horse right next to them, and put her away while they finished up. Not to mention there was another empty picnic table in the other spot, I'm guessing they must not have even seen it. After they left, I got packed up and drove on home, I wished there had been somewhere else I could have ridden in that area, but I was out of options, especially with the fires burning.


GPS COORDINATES TO N. CRATER TH

 



No comments:

Post a Comment