Sunday, November 6, 2016

The Twin Pillars Trail, Ochoco National Forest, Oregon

Well I definitely have to get out and ride when we suddenly have a beautiful overly warm day in November. The Twin Pillars Trail is one that I have done a few times in the spring, and often have not been able to make it all the way to the base of the pillars because of blow down, but it is cleared now, so I went ahead and did the whole 12 mile out and back ride. The closest horse camp is Dry Creek but you would have to trailer out from there to do this ride.


On the Twin Pillars Trail.

To get there: From Prineville drive 8 miles east on Hwy 26, then take a left on Mill Creek Rd. Follow this for 11 miles, it will turn to gravel at about half way. At the sign for Wildcat Campground turn right and park in the lot for the Twin Pillars Trail.

Parking at the Twin Pillars trailhead.

The Twin Pillars trailhead.

The trail leaves beside the bathroom and follows the creek past the campground and into the forest. You will cross the creek eight times on the way out, as well as several other small streams that run across the trail here and there. Often there will be cows grazing, depending on what time of year it is.

A spring photo from a previous visit.

On the Twin Pillars Trail.

Not as green in the fall.

On the Twin Pillars Trail.

One of the many creek crossings.

After 3 miles you will get to the junction with the Belknap Trail, stay on the main trail here, but for future reference the Belknap Trail climbs fairly steeply uphill and intersects with the Wildcat Trail. Taking a left on the Wildcat Trail you can ride as long as you want, it will end at it's northern trailhead, if you can actually get through and the trail is clear. If you turn right, it will take you to White Rock Campground and the southern TH. You can drive to this camp, I have done it, but it was back in the day with a smaller rig than I have now, and the last two miles of the road is pretty rustic.

The junction with the Belknap Trail.

On the Wildcat Trail on a previous visit.

On the Twin Pillars Trail.

After awhile you will emerge from the forest into an old burn area from a lightning fire in 2000, and at this point the pillars will be in view.

The local wildlife.

On the Twin Pillars Trail.

The trail then switchbacks through large patches of manzanita to the base of the pillars.

The Twin Pillars.

I suspect most people would rather just visit the pillars, turn around and head back, but the trail does continue another 3 miles to the Bingham Springs Campground, this could be added to the ride making it 18 miles total.

The trail continues past the pillars.

The Bingham Springs Campground. I've hiked in from here, but it's not worth driving a trailer around this way.

Heading back down through the manzanita.

Views on the way down.

I actually met a few hardy hikers on this day, having to slosh through that many creek crossings could get old after awhile, but of course no problem via horseback!

Happy Trails!


GPS COORDINATES TO TWIN PILLARS TH




2 comments:

  1. I did Twin Pillars in June 30, 2017 . I put a youtube vlog about my adventure and trail conditions. The last creek crossing was washed out pretty bad and my mare fell to her knees when it gave way. I jumped off for I didn't know if she would fall to side or over backwards. She finally figured it out and came out of it with only a long scrape on a hind leg. The hiker I met at Twin Pillars was as frustrated as I was about the trail conditions.
    https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=chaneyrus

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad, I know I was never able to get through either in the spring. I was very surprised and happy to find it cleared in November. I remember the washed out creek, don't remember how we got across, but I know it wasn't an ordeal. Your horse is cute!

    ReplyDelete