Friday, October 2, 2015

Lava Camp to Devil's Lake on the PCT, Three Sisters Wilderness, Oregon

I always thought it would be fun to do a key swap ride. A nice long distance trek through the mountains arriving on the other side, without having to camp out, or turn around and go back.
I asked my friend Krista if she would be up for it, and she was! She is an endurance rider so I knew she would have zero problem with the 24 mile distance, and also was just fine riding by herself.

Doing our PCT key swap ride.

I started the day pretty early getting to Lava Camp trailhead off of Hwy 242, on the slightly chilly morning of the last day of September. I took a little time to make sure I didn't forget any of the extra things I needed, since I would be loading my horse into a different rig on the other side. I was ready and riding by 9:00 am taking the short 1/4 mile trail from the parking area to the PCT. Lava Camp has a pretty big parking lot, but there are also a couple of convenient pull through camping spots for trailers to park in.

Starting off on the PCT from Lava Camp.

I hadn't gone very far before I ran into my first backpacker. My horse had spotted him although he was standing stock still beside the trail.
I said "hi", and he said "oh thank god, I thought you were a bear"! Not sure what his plan would have been if I had been a bear.
Normally the PCT is teeming with hikers in the summer, but this is a more quiet time of year.

Continuing on, I passed Matthieu Lakes, and then into a stretch of lava that goes on for quite some time.

North Matthieu Lake.

South Matthieu Lake.

South Matthieu Lake.

Skirting Yapoah Crater.

Views of Washington, Three Fingered Jack, and Jefferson from the PCT.

Collier Cone.

The PCT goes straight, Scott Lake TH to the right.

Riding through the lava on the PCT.

There is a very brief break in the lava before getting right back into it again. I then headed down Opie Dildock Pass. I have ridden this pass before, but from the other direction. Looking up at it from the bottom it looks like there is no way through, but it's actually a perfectly good trail.
I stopped for a rest and a snack at Glacier Creek before heading into the Obsidian area.

Opie Dildock Pass.

Snack time at Glacier Creek.

On the PCT.

Just getting into the Obsidian.

The Obsidian area can be done as a loop from the Obsidian Trailhead but you have to have a permit to do it, since it is limited access. However if you are just passing through on the PCT and not veering off on any other trail, you do not need the permit.

Signs in this area for people doing the loop that need a permit.

This is a very unique area and if you hit it when the sun is shining just right on the Obsidian, it is like riding through a glittery fairyland.

The ground through here is very shiny with the Obsidian. Camera's don't quite do it justice.

I passed Obsidian Falls and then was very excited to start on the middle section of the ride, which is the "new to me" part, having ridden all of the other sections many times before.

Obsidian Falls.

Krista had started her ride much later than me, she rides a gaited horse and can cover a lot of ground quickly. Around this time I got a couple texts from her, double checking with me, to make sure she was heading in the right direction. It was nice to have cell service most of the time, to keep in touch.

I ran into five backpackers who where extremely excited to see a horse, so I paused so picture taking and nose petting could commence.

Middle Sister.

I was in between Middle Sister and The Husband and was just starting to wonder when I would meet up with Krista and then... there she was!
We stopped, let the horses graze and caught each other up on our journey so far.

The Husband.

There she is! Krista and Phoenix.

Phoenix and Rina compare notes on their rides so far.

Krista and her sweet dog Fisher.


We parted company and headed our separate ways, making sure not to forget to exchange our keys,
a rather important step in the process.
The next beautiful vista to await me was the north side of South Sister.

South Sister.

Mossy trees.

The meadow just before climbing up to Wickiup Plain.

Upon getting to Wickiup Plain the PCT veers off to the right but to get to where I needed to be, I had to take the LeConte Crater Trail instead, that goes to Devil's Lake where Krista had parked.

Wickiup Plain.

South Sister from Wickiup Plain.

This culvert goes under the highway and into Devil's Lake parking area.

I got to the parking lot at Devil's Lake, located my "new" rig, figured out how everything worked, and set off on the drive back home. I got into Bend and got a text from Krista saying she was on her way too, we timed that extremely well! We met at my house and congratulated ourselves on a great ride. We are already plotting another similar excursion!


GPS COORDINATES TO LAVA CAMP TH

GPS COORDINATES TO DEVIL'S LAKE TH

1 comment: