Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Silver Creek Marsh and Farm Well Horse Camps, Oregon

I have wanted to go to this camp for awhile because it is a good climate and area to visit in
the spring, before the major heat sets in, and the trails are snow free and cleared earlier.
It is easy to access, 10 miles south of Silver Lake OR on a paved road. One of the perks of this area is the Cowboy Dinner Tree which is a very popular but rustic place to stop for dinner, reservations are required. You have to bring cash, there are only two menu options, and they have no electricity, but apparently the food is very good. ( I haven't actually been there yet )  Website for the restaurant

There are 15 sites in two loops, one for people, and then the horse loop which has nice large sites but only three of them have corrals. There is a hand pump for water and it is usually potable, but at this time of the year it had a sign on it saying it had not been tested for the season yet, so I would bring my own just in case. There is also a creek nearby. There is a bathroom, a manure bin, and it is $6.00 a night to stay here.

Silver Creek Marsh Horse Camp, this site has two corrals.

I got my horse ready and set off out of camp on the Fremont National Recreation Trail, this being the northern section of this trail that runs from Yamsay Mt. to Harvey Pass.

The National Scenic Recreational  Trail markers along the way.

I rode along Silver Creek  heading uphill to the Antler Trailhead. Antler is also a horse camp with all the amenities, but only two of the sites have corrals. This ride was an out and back and was 14 miles. There was a little blow down, but it was easy to get around.

Rock formations along the trail to Antler.

Antler trail head and camp.

Oddly the entire time I was near water on this trip I never encountered a single mosquito but when I was not near water they would show up in droves, they also arrived at dusk both evenings to irritate my horse.
In general, it could have been worse, I noticed the horses in a nearby campsite were not that bothered. I just have a horse that is highly sensitive to them and she tends to lose all rational thought. The good news is while I am riding her they aren't that interested in me, since she is apparently much more tasty!
That night after dinner I went on a stroll. All of a sudden I heard a thunk above my head, then thunk thunk as two birds fell from the sky and hit the pavement, they had collided in mid air. I wonder how often that happens? I went to check out the aftermath, one was DOA, the other was breathing and stunned. I knew not to mess with him, I figured there was a chance he could snap out of it and be fine, and sure enough the next morning I checked on him, and he was gone.

On day two, my grand plan was to ride the other direction on the NRT and up to the summit of Hager Mt. and back, a pretty long ride. I was quite enjoying myself until I arrived at what seemed to be the end of the trail, it spit me out onto a dirt road at a hunters camp. I rode up the dirt road for awhile but there were no more trail signs so I doubled back and checked all around the hunters camp and found no trail.
As it turns out, I would soon learn, this trail is usually quite well marked.... until it is not.....usually at a critical juncture.

Silver Creek.

So I rode around various dirt roads for the day, knowing that I was not to be thwarted from my goal of Hager, since I knew I could trailer over and do it from another trail head the following day.

Hager Mt. was in view, but at this point I was just exploring the dirt roads.

On the way back I eventually did find the place where I should have turned, a very faint path with no markers or signs, and much easier to see from the other direction, but by this time it was too late to continue on it.
Getting back to camp earlier than expected I decided to unhook the truck and drive up to Thompson Reservoir 5 miles up the main road. It was hot and I was ready for a cool refreshing dip. Alas, it was not to be. This is a pretty popular fishing spot, but I quickly found out the water is actually pretty icky, no one in their right mind would swim in it. So I hung out with the local critters for awhile.

Sharing my nectarines with the wildlife.

Then I drove back to camp and jumped in the extremely cold nearby stream instead... and hastily got right back out again.

I was up early the following day, packed the truck, and drove to Farm Well Trail head, this is also a camp, it's got 4 central community corrals and a  pond/swamp area for water.

Parking at Farm Well Trail head and camp.

From here it is a 12 mile ride to the top of Hager Mt. and back. However if that is your goal do NOT follow the giant sign marked TRAIL near the pond and day use area. It is actually the trail but this is the south side of it, heading away from Hager Mt.
I made that mistake briefly, turned around and found the right trail behind one of the camp sites, it is not marked except for a ribbon on a tree, and you go through a green gate.
It is a steady climb with some pretty steep areas, with one drop off section and there was a small amount of blow down.

Views on the way up Hager.

Getting closer to the top, the views back down were awesome, and there were a lot of wildflowers.

Wildflowers galore.

There were also two sun dogs, which look like a rainbow, but make a perfect circle around the sun.

Sun dogs at the top of Hager.

The hitching post atop Hager.

At the top there is a lookout, a bathroom and a hitching post.

Standing on the lookout balcony.

I walked up to the lookout and realized it was not yet staffed for the season.

Mt Hager lookout.

It's high elevation, but is snow free early in the season.

The view of Thompson Reservoir to the south.

I rode back down, on my head tossing, cow kicking pony....(the mosquito's again), and drove us home. There were other trails I did not do, for example trailering to Antler and riding up Yamsay Mt. although I have heard that section of trail might not be maintained. There is also a small loop from there called the Scenic Rock trail. Also from Farm Well the NRT continues to run south, the direction I mistakenly went briefly when leaving camp. Perhaps I will return someday!

Update: I have returned and camped at Farm Well which I write about in my blog Currier Spring and Farm Well Horse Camps


GPS COORDINATES TO SILVER CREEK MARSH


No comments:

Post a Comment